In autumn, the body asks us for warmer, more substantial and more comforting dishes than in summer: it's time to tame root vegetables! Because in addition to being seasonal foods, very rich in resistant starches (food that our little intestinal bacteria love), they are incredibly versatile ingredients that can be used in both savory and sweet dishes. Here is a nice variation of traditional gnocchi, made with sweet potato:
Ingredients for 4 persons
- 2 medium sweet potatoes
- 1/2 tsp. teaspoon of nutmeg
- 1 beaten egg
- 200 gr. of einkorn flour (You can add 280 gr. of flour if you consider it necessary. Start with less flour and add more until you obtain a compact but not too dry dough)
- Clean the sweet potatoes well and make an incision along the entire length with a knife. Place them on a tray and bake for 45 minutes or until completely cooked. Then let them cool.
- Once the sweet potatoes have cooled, remove the flesh and mash it with a fork in a bowl until you have a puree. Add parmesan (if desired), salt, nutmeg and pepper. Mix and add the egg. Mix again.
- On a flat, smooth surface, place the flour and form a small mountain. Add the mixture and knead by hand until you obtain a homogeneous dough with which you can form a ball. Cut the ball into 4, form 4 thin rolls approximately 2 cm wide. Cut them into “slices” about 3 cm thick. Don't make them too big. Using a fork, make a few marks on each “gnocchi”.
- Bring water to a boil in a saucepan and carefully submerge the gnocchi. Once they float to the surface, you can drain them, they are cooked!
Serve them with lots of vegetables and your favorite homemade sauce :)